Gather Food! Light a Fire! Get Ready for Winter! by Heather Bennett

Welcome Heather Bennett, Executive Editor of Decadent Publishing!
Heading into October, I figured I’d get comfy with a seasonal theme today as we sneak into fall. Many people are already breaking out the flannels and feeling the bite in the morning air, the shortening daylight, the changing colors that speak to the primordial animal in us and yells, “Gather food, light a fire, and get ready for winter!”


Although the weather here in Southern California isn’t exactly the autumnal wonderland I remember growing up in the Midwest, I still enjoy the trappings of the season. I enjoy lighting the Apple Spice and Pumpkin Pie candles, helping my kids decorate for Halloween, making chili in the crockpot and serving it with a side of sweet and crumbly corn bread. As the season advances and we watch the leaves turn and tumble into colorful carpets on the front lawn, I can’t help but smile when my daughter picks up three or four of them on the way into the house and appreciates their natural artistry.

One of the things I most look forward to in the cozy season is curling up by the fireplace in a favorite pair of sweats, drinking a lovely cup of Earl Grey (cream and 2 sugars, please) and reading some dark and delicious paranormal romance. The early sunsets and ghoulish décor in every window lends itself nicely to an atmosphere of voluntary paranoia. I happily suspend grown-up reality in order to immerse myself in a world of vampires and demons. Anytime is a good time for a sexy vampire or a dashing demon, but it is in this season I tend to grab a new series and gorge myself on all things dark and dangerous.

I have my favorites, of course, and am always looking for a new heart pounding paranormal adventure to sink my teeth into. This fall is the first for me as Executive Editor and co-owner of Decadent Publishing. With stories like Blood Moon by Ellen Keener, Of Course I Try by Seleste deLaney, By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Amanda McIntyre and The Devil’s Bidding by Leslie Soule, I can offer people around the world the sexy and sometimes sinister romance fiction I myself enjoy reading on long, creepy cool nights under a harvest moon.

Leave a comment for an opportunity to win any three titles from the Decadent Publishing catalog. Heather will pick one lucky commenter and the winner will be notified.
Share this article :

+ comments + 18 comments

September 30, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I love decadent, wintry nights with a muscular hero, a bottle of wine and a crackling fire. Bring on the novels that keep me awake, fire up my libido and fill my senses with romance, suspense, horror, action and sex...

September 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot. Hey, you'd get along with Captain Picard. Great post!

September 30, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I love this time of year. Thank you Heather for making the very near future so vivid. Your a great writer. And I know first hand you help run a fantastic company.

September 30, 2010 at 9:48 AM

@Cherie-Want to write for me? I love your post! :-)

@Kimber-Jean-Luc and I go WAAAYY back, sister!

@Keira-Thanks for stopping and the compliment!

September 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Good morning Heather:)
My flannels are on and you're making me hungry! LOL!
Hugs,
Lisa O.

September 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Hmmm. I love when the wind blows and the leaves chase down the street making that skittering noise. And it gets to be time to start piling the pumpkins in front of the house....today it's a little cooler and I can almost hear fall calling for real!

September 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Winter is my favorite season. The air is crisp and fresh, decorations abound as snow blankets the ground, and those dirty little bugs that drive me crazy the rest of the year hibernate.:-)

September 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Mmm...I love tea and/or coffee and reading. I have a bunch of ebooks waiting for my attention for the Fall. I love mysteries and thrillers - perfect for fireplace reading. I can't wait to check out your new releases, Heather. Congrats to you.

September 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

For me, it's steampunk. I'm looking forward to spending whatever autumn afternoons I have off to reading tales of gear adventures while sipping hot chocolate. Mmm, lovely!

September 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

You've definitely gotten everyone in the mood to hunker down for cooler weather, warm drinks and hot books! Good thing you have access to so much great reading material!

September 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Lisa, since it's your favorite day of the week , I bet you had a great breakfast!

Kate, one of my favorite things about fall is the rustle of leaves!

Kat, I like winter, too, because I live in SoCal. LOL I can't do snow anymore, even though I grew up in the Midwest. Total lightweight now!

AJ Llewellyn, I thank you and congratulate you back on a prolific career!

Darcy, I just got into Steampunk and, so far, I like it!

Val, thanks for asking me! It was fun to do.

October 1, 2010 at 12:32 AM

And I almost missed out on all the fun! I love autumn! I don't have changing leaves or drastic weather changes in Hawaii, but I do miss the snow! Earl Grey tea, apple spice and pumpkin spice sounds soo good and tempting. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday but I do love watching all the kids dress up for trick-or-treating. Did I tell you I love DP? lol.

October 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Autumn is by far my favorite time of year. I remember the blazing Fall colors of all the deciduous trees back home in the Chicago area, and the massive piles of raked leaves to jump headlong into! However, here in the lovely but decidedly rainy Pacific Northwest, the difficulty of finding a pile of dry crunchy Fall leaves amidst all the pine needles and raindrops makes me homesick! So, I'm content to fire up our fake fireplace, grab a hot drink with a hot read and I'm a happy camper! Oh, and eating anything with pumpkin in it is a must; I'm surprised my eyeballs don't turn orange with all the pumpkin & squash I consume this time of year-lol!

October 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Just stopping by to enjoy the beautiful visuals of the upcoming fall season. What a beautiful blog! Decadent Publishing has some bright new authors that are defintely worth checking out!
Congrats and Happy first autumn, Decadent!
Amanda McIntyre

October 1, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Beautiful blog. Totally got me excited for Fall. I love when I can smell the first tingling of Fall in the air. I anticipate that fire in the fireplace and getting all cozy by the fireplace, surrounded by my favorite candle, book, and of course, beverage of choice. Now to pick the book!

October 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Mmmmmm hot apple cider and hayrides and some good creepy stories? Winter is my favorite, but I love fall too. Of course, right now I'm in the desert so it totally doesn't feel like fall anymore lol.

October 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Mulled wine on a cool night in a room brightened only by the flames in the fireplace, Stew on the stove slow cooking to allow the aromas to float through the air and fill the house, a time when you have an actual excuse to grab a blanket and cuddle up to that special someone... Fall is just a beautiful time of year all the way around.

October 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Everyone is making me wax nostalgic for a time and place long gone by. A place where the leaves flourished and withered, falling gracefully to the ground in piles for me to jump into. A time when the air was tinged with the comforting aroma of woodsmoke and the crisp promise of winter. A moment when that first sip of rich warm chocolate passed DECADENTLY over my tongue. Thank you Heather and everyone for pulling fond remembrances to the forefront of my mind.
~Deena Remiel

Post a Comment

Disclosure as Per the FTC Guidlines:
All books reviewed at Got Romance! Reviews have been provided by the Publishers or Authors for free. Got Romance! Reviews has not been compensated for any reviews.
Got Romance! Reviews does not own any images, book covers or portraits on the site.
Book Cover images are from the various authors, pubishers or Goodreads
Elvin Pin-Up art were acquired from Elvgren PinUp
Hilga Pun-Up art were acquired from Toilgirls
Elvin and Hilga copyrights owned by Brown and Bigelow
Copyright © 2011. Got Romance! Reviews - All Rights Reserved
Template Creater | Proudly powered by Blogger