Halloween Songs

by Beth Caudill

Christmas is right around the corner and some places already have the Christmas carols playing. Where are the creaks, groans, and spooky songs?  Let the demons and undead have their day before Angels start to sing.

Thriller was the first album I wanted as a pre-teen. This was big for me because all my previous records were things like Snoopy’s Christmas and the soundtrack to Mary Poppins. But what I loved best about the song Thriller was Vincent Price’s voice.  The way he says ‘face the hounds of hell’ or ‘rot inside a corpse's shell’ sends shivers down my spine.   Although, you can’t enjoy the song without the video; I have to say it is still one of the best videos because you get a complete story.


The Monster Mash is a popular song played this time of year. It’s never been a favorite of mine but there aren’t too many Halloween songs.  You could use soundtracks from movies like Beetlejuice or The Ghostbusters.  Or maybe the openings to The Munsters or Addams Family. Who can resist snapping along with Morticia and Gomez?





Mannheim  Steamroller has two cds they’ve ‘deranged’ as they call it. I have the first cd set which comes with a special effects disc good for scaring the tricker treaters.  I don’t play it for little kids, but the ten and older crowd get to hear the ghosts wail and owls screech. 
Quite a few of the Mannheim Steamroller Halloween songs appeared in Disney’s Fantasia. I have a difficult time seeing The Sorcerer’s Apprentice as scary. It’s hard to image Mickey with his cute blue hat scaring anyone.  But the Night on Bald Mountain composition is my favorite for cold October nights. Here is a YouTube video for your enjoyment:




Before you get lost in the bustle and joy of Christmas, remember to hide from the monsters of Halloween. And a loud spooky sound just might scare them away.

Find Beth at http://bethcaudill.net


Share this article :

+ comments + 7 comments

October 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I embrass my kids with the Thirller dance....Great blog

October 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Thanks Abigail. I try not to embarrass myself and stay far away form the dance floor. But I can enjoy other people doing it.

October 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Oh my! THRILLER takes me back. And a girl in my school looked exactly like Morticia Addams and she always dressed as her at Halloween. The spooky difference? SHE HAD A TWIN! Great blog! Hope others will buy HEALER'S FATE at Whispers Publishing. Neat story!

October 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Thanks Nancy. Oh dressing as Morticia would be cool.

October 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I HATE Michael Jackson, loathe, abhor and detest the man. That being said, I really DIG Thriller. Vincent Price is one of my heroes and I adore anything he was associated with.

As far as halloween songs...Funeral March of a Marionette--better known as the Alfred Hitchock Theme. Ride of the Valkyries is another good one. Ghost Riders in the Sky, Haunted House by Jumping Gene Simmos, Purple People Eater--Sheb Wooley, Lil Red Riding Hood--Sam the Sham and the Pharoes, Doin' the Zombie--Chubby Checker, Dead Man's Curve--Jan and Dean, Witch Doctor--Chipmonks. Instrumentals: Funeral March from Piano Sonata, Pandemonium--the theme from Bride of Frankenstein.

Sorry. I LOVE anything Halloween or horror related. I have several CDs that I'v accumulated over the years with my kind of music on them LOL.

Take care and thanks for sharing your post!
Huggles
Donica

October 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Donica - Wow what a list. I'd forgotten about the Purple People Eater. And I won't say I'm a fan of Michael Jackson on anything other than the Thriller album. :)

October 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Donica - Wonderful list! I'm a big fan of soundtracks and there are a lot out there that can send chills up the spine...

My local radio station has a spoken 'record' they play "What's He Doing In There?" that has some real chill to it.

Post a Comment

Disclosure as Per the FTC Guidlines:
All books reviewed at Got Romance! Reviews have been provided by the Publishers or Authors for free. Got Romance! Reviews has not been compensated for any reviews.
Got Romance! Reviews does not own any images, book covers or portraits on the site.
Book Cover images are from the various authors, pubishers or Goodreads
Elvin Pin-Up art were acquired from Elvgren PinUp
Hilga Pun-Up art were acquired from Toilgirls
Elvin and Hilga copyrights owned by Brown and Bigelow
Copyright © 2011. Got Romance! Reviews - All Rights Reserved
Template Creater | Proudly powered by Blogger